“Women are the real architects of society.” Cher
Did you know that in 1987, Congress declared March as National Women’s History Month in perpetuity? A special Presidential Proclamation is issued every year which honors the extraordinary achievements of American women.
You know most people, including myself, didn’t know March was National Women’s History Month. Shame on us all. As beautiful and necessary as women are – we shall never forget. Tell a friend; Hell – tell 3 friends.
We all know or have heard about the contemporary influential women from Nancy Pelosi, Oprah Winfrey, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Simone Biles – just to name a few. However, in celebration of this month, I have chosen some influential women that most may not know.
Florence Howe Nicknamed “the Elizabeth Cady Stanton of women’s studies,” Howe began teaching the subject “Women Studies” before it was a major or even had a name.
Frances Ellen Watkins Harper was an abolitionist, suffragist, poet, teacher, public speaker, and writer, one of the first African American women to be published in the United States.
The list of influential women can go on for miles as women over the years have done so much more than traditional history books give them credit for. We are so used to reading about men accomplishments, we forget or pass over what women have done for this country in particular, and the world in general.
Well, this is the time to lift them to the status of where they belong – equal to, if not atop, men!!!
Here are some of the top achievements by women just in the last five (5) years.
- 2015: Sarah Thomas becomes the first woman to referee for the NFL.
- 2016: Hillary Clinton becomes the first female presidential nominee.
- 2017: Peggy Whiston breaks the record for the most days spent in space.
- 2018: A record 102 women served in the House of Representatives, comprising 23.4% of the chamber’s voting members. The 116th Congress made up nearly a quarter of its voting membership – the highest percentage in U.S. history, and a considerable increase from where things stood not too long ago. Moreover, 25 women serve in the Senate. This cause many to call it the “Year of the Woman.”
- 2019: First all women Spacewalk by NASA Astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Koch
- 2019: Michelle Obama’s Becoming. The book had the longest period at No. 1 since Fifty Shades of Grey‘s.
Now Tru Talk:
- Women are one of GOD’s most precious creatures.
- Women are smarter, stronger, and have more compassion than men.
- Any good man knows he would not be good – if not for a good woman.
- Life without women is no life at all.
- Men need women far more than women need men.
- Nothing is better than a woman’s touch.
- There no reason what so ever for women to make less than men for the same work.
- We need to recognize women talents’ and rectify the pay disparity ASAP.
Whether male or female, we all know that Women are the key to life as they carry us, birth us, feed us, change us, clean us, train us, care for us, protect us, love us, & discipline us with very little to no appreciation. Anyone who has a good mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, wife, daughter, girlfriend, teacher, or boss – let her know how important she is to your life.
THANK you to all women; and in advance, THANK you to all girls who will one day become women.